What is Torch Club?
Torch Club focuses on empowering young people to become active members of the Boys and Girls Club Community, as well as the larger community of London, while also providing them with opportunities to act as leaders within those communities.
Topics We'll Cover
Within Torch Club children ages 10 – 13 have the opportunity to explore 5 areas of focus:
- Leadership – Torch Club members will create a platform for children at the Boys and Girls Club of London to have a voice regarding programming and events that they would like to see happening.
- Teamwork – Torch Club members will explore what it means to be part of a team during team building activities, brainstorming sessions, event planning and facilitating events at the Boys and Girls Club of London.
- Healthy choices – Torch Club members will have the opportunity to participate in various physical activity challenges to gain insight into the health benefits of living an active lifestyle. Additionally, members will have the opportunity to gain knowledge about how take care of themselves – body, mind, and soul in a positive manner!
- Learning for Life- members will have the opportunity to engage in experiential learning in a variety of ways: participating in workshops that are both informative and hands-on; using both written and verbal communication to reflect on their experiences; and asking thought-provoking questions that utilize their critical thinking skills about issues that are relevant to them.
- Service to the Club and Community – members will volunteer at various events both inside and outside of the Boys and Girls Club of London to gain insight into the needs of our community and address those needs in a constructive manner.
Within these 5 areas of focus the participants will complete workshops, volunteer in the community, gather information from children within the Boys and Girls Club of London, hear presentations from professionals in our community, and explore what it means to be an active participant of their community.
Torch Club members are able to voice their opinions, interests and concerns in a safe and respectful environment. That voice will translate into fundraisers, volunteering opportunities, and recreational programming at the Boys and Girls Club of London.
When Is It Offered?
Once a month
5:00 – 7:00 pm
Feb 23, 2017
Mar 23, 2017
Apr 27, 2017
May 25, 2017
Jun 22, 2017
With some volunteer opportunities occurring intermittently throughout the year.
Education and Leadership Coordinator
519-434-9115 ext. 254