Winter Break Day Camp
The Boys & Girls Club of London is looking forward to having your child(ren) join us for day camp during Winter Break!
The provincial guidelines still state that camp cohorts must stay together for a minimum of 7 days therefore children must register for either Week 1 or Week 2 or all 6 days of Winter Break camp. There are no daily registrations permitted.
Through safety measures, recommendations and policies provided by the municipality, public health, and our national organization, we have prepared to meet the standards and guidelines in order to open for camp. We appreciate your support and understanding as we all navigate through these changes that have affected our lives, especially our children.
The health and well-being of our children, families, and staff, is our top priority. Upon arrival at the Boys & Girls Club of London (184 Horton Street), you will discover many changes and new procedures put in place to ensure the health and safety of all those who enter.
We wish to advise you of what to expect to avoid surprises.
Camper Drop off / Pick-Up / Health Screening
To ensure everyone’s safety, all individuals entering the building must participate in an active pre-screening, and campers are required to have their temperature checked by an on-site Boys and Girls Club staff member EVERY DAY.
Prior to joining in camp every day, our staff will be asking assessment questions that you can complete online or upon arrival. Completing this online will most likely shorten the wait time at drop off, if completed correctly.
Our questions are relating to having symptoms, previous contact with others who may have COVID-19 or have travelled outside of Canada. If any of the questions are answered yes, the staff will request that you delay your visit, consider visiting your health care provider and to stay at home. All completed questionnaires are kept for our records for contact tracing purposes for the Middlesex-London Health Unit, if individuals need to be contacted due to outbreak.
Dropping off your child(ren)
- Please complete the online screening prior to arrival at either camp site. Please click here to start the online Health Screening Questionnaire.
- Please wait outside of camp site at physical distancing markers until you are permitted inside the lobby of the building. Please prepare for inclement weather as there is no shelter outside of the camp site.
- Everyone will be asked to use hand sanitizer which is provided upon entry and remain at the desk safely behind the plexiglass barrier. Individuals cannot travel past the desk until screening is passed.
- Our screening staff will be wearing PPEs. If you are having difficulty hearing instructions, please kindly advise us.
Either the pre-screener will review your online questionnaire or complete a hard copy at the camp site.
A temperature check of the child(ren) will be taken and recorded.
If all questions are answered NO and temperature is under 37.8°C, child may enter and join program. A staff member will escort your child(ren) to their homeroom and the front desk will sign the attendance on your behalf to minimize contact.
If any question is answered yes and/or temperature is 37.8°C or greater and/or displays symptoms, the individual cannot be admitted to the program location. Family will be directed to contact health care provider.
INCLUSION NOTE – Limited spaces available per week. Please send all inquiries about day camp spaces for children with exceptionalities (special needs) to Nadine Harrison - firstname.lastname@example.org
Picking up your child(ren)
- Please ensure that you/caregiver is listed as an individual allowed to pick up child(ren), and bring government issued photo identification. All adults must show their photo identification to the staff member when picking up child(ren) from camp at both locations.
- Please wait outside of the camp sites at social distancing markers until you are permitted inside the lobby of building. Please prepare for inclement weather as there are no shelters outside of the camp sites.
- Everyone will be asked to use hand sanitizer which is provided upon entry and remain at the desk safely behind the plexiglass barrier.
- After staff views photo identification and verifies pick-up person, Director or designate will locate and escort child(ren) to the front entrance to authorized pick up adult.
- Front desk staff will sign out child upon leaving, to ensure contactless sign out.
A few other items to note:
- The provincial guidelines still state that camp cohorts must stay together for a minimum of 7 days therefore children must register for either Week 1 or Week 2 or all 6 days of Winter Break camp. There are no daily registrations permitted.
- Camp is for ages 4 to 12 years old.
No extended care available – Camp drop off is no earlier than 8:00 a.m. Pick up is no later than 5:00 p.m., therefore all children must be picked up at both sites by 5:00 p.m.
- All campers are divided into cohorts of 8 children per cohort and supervised by 2 day camp counselors in order to meet the standard of 10 people in a cohort per provincial guidelines. Please note that all siblings or individuals in the same household will be grouped together in the same cohort.
- An extra camp counselor is attached to each cohort who is responsible for disinfecting, sanitizing, and cleaning.
- Physical spacing to encourage campers to remain apart from one another during activities to support 2 metres (6 feet) physical distancing.
- Campers remain on site as there will be no bus trips or out-trips. Based on the weather, cohorts will participate in general outdoor activities and walks where permitted.
- Swimming – the indoor pools will remain closed.
Lunches and snacks are not provided by the BGCL. All campers must bring their own food while abiding the peanut-free standard.
Our team would like to share an update with you and your family on the preventative measures in place at the Boys & Girls Club of London.
- New procedure for pre-screening before entering the building. New procedure regarding isolation if an individual displays symptoms of COVID-19.
- Encouraging frequent hand washing throughout the day by all campers and staff. Hand sanitizers stations have increased and are readily available.
- Multiple cleaning procedures of shared surfaces using approved products for disinfection by Health Canada.
- Additional counselors are hired to clean and ensure the disinfection and sanitization of equipment, furniture, washrooms, and all high traffic shared surfaces.
- PPEs are provided to our staff and are mandatory to be worn when 2 metres (6 feet) physical distancing is not possible with campers and other individuals. All staff have participated in training specifically in regards to these additional safety measures as well.
- All rooms and spacing have been sanitized and reconfigured to ensure physical distancing and reduce the interaction between other cohorts of children.
- All drop-offs and pick-ups are in the front area where staff will meet and escort campers and parents/caregivers can either depart after drop off, or kindly wait at pick up later.
- Any visitors, aside from BGCL employees and registered campers, are to remain at the entrance of building and cannot travel through facility without permission by management.
A Quick Overview
- Week 1 = December 21 to 23, 2020
- Week 2 = December 29 to 31, 2020
No camp on December 24, 25, 28, and January 1, 2021.
Time: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., extended care is not available
Ages: 4 to 12 only
Application & Registration will be required.
If you are receiving a subsidy, you must be pre-approved for camp by your Case Worker. If you register without pre-approval, your registration may be cancelled/void.
Health Screening Questionnaire must be completed every day.
Limited spaces available. Inquiries about spaces for Inclusion campers can be sent to Nadine Harrison - email@example.com
- 184 Horton Street (Downtown London)
We will no longer be offering day camp at Kidscape Indoor Playground (North West London/Hyde Park).
Snacks and lunches will not be provided.
At Boys & Girls Club of London only
|Week 1 - December 21 to 23, 2020
|Week 2 - December 29 to 31, 2020
Please note: Subsidy is available. You must have been pre-approved for camp by your Case Worker. This information will be verified by our staff. If you have not been pre-approved for camp by your Case Worker, your registration will be cancelled/void.
Please be patient when calling as phone lines will be busy.
If you leave a message, we'll call you back as soon as we can. Thank you for your patience!
Phone: 519-434-9114 (Monday to Friday between 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (Monitored during business hours)